Have you committed to doing the kayak leg of Ski to Sea or Bellingham Traverse but never been in a kayak before? Or have you done one of these races before, but it’s been a long time? This class is for you.
This 4 hour class covers the following topics:
1) Essential sea kayak anatomy, along with safe lifting and carrying
2) Life Jackets and Spray Skirts
3) Wet Exits and Self Rescue
4) Getting into and out of a kayak
5) Basic paddle strokes (forward, reverse, turning) with a goal of increasing efficiency and speed.
6) Learn the bow rudder for turns that don’t dramatically reduce speed around the buoys
7) What to expect in the race & race course strategies
Maximum class session size 4 students:
Private instruction available:
SSKS will provide: sea kayaks, spray skirts, life jackets, paddles, pump, paddle float, wetsuit. See our “What to Bring to Class” page for additional information. Class(es) may be held either on Bellingham Bay or a local lake, if you have a preference please let us know.